Full Job Description
The Dental Assistant provides high quality care while assisting the Dentist in the clinical treatment of patients in general dentistry, oral surgery and other procedures. Under the direct supervision of the Dentist, the Dental Assistant performs many tasks requiring both interpersonal and technical skills and serves as an infection control officer, developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment. The Dental Assistant prepares and arranges tools and instruments for scheduled procedures, hands necessary tools and equipment to the Dentist, aids during treatment, ensures operatories and instruments are clean and sterilized between patients including all barriers changed, and helps the Dentist with accurate recordkeeping. This is a part-time position, Saturdays only.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Punctuality, attendance at and performance of the key responsibilities in person at the office on a full-time basis (or as otherwise directed by your supervisor).
- Assist the Dentist during a variety of treatment procedures while adhering to compliance protocols in line with all health & safety regulations and state dental practice requirements. Provide comprehensive patient care to include Same Day Care, if possible.
- Greet patients in waiting area and escort them to the operatory ensuring proper set up procedures.
- Ask about patient medical history, take blood pressure and pulse, make accurate chart entries and assure thorough completion of forms and signatures.
- Adhere to daily, weekly and monthly checklists to support the clinic and/or overall offices as needed/instructed.
- Prepare patients for treatments or checkups ensuring their comfort (before, during and after treatment) and answer any questions they have. Provide patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling).
- Conduct post-operative and post-treatment procedures, as instructed by the Dentist.
- Take and develop dental radiographs (x-rays), as needed.
- Help patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatments.
- Check in orders and put away in storage areas/stockrooms.
- Stock operatories and maintain clinical supply inventory. Support ordering needs for clinical team.
- Maintain dental equipment and sterile working environment with daily, weekly and monthly checklist compliance according to current infection control procedures meeting OSHA/WISHA standards.
- Support routine maintenance of dental equipment as required.
- Educate patients on appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling).
- Take impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth).
- Communicate with patients and suppliers (e.g., scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, billing and ordering supplies).
- Review daily schedule to set up appropriate trays and instruments and monitor patient flow.
- Follow end of day closing procedures to include cleaning operatories and clinical areas, taking out trash, boxes, help with laundry needs and restrooms.
- Assist in front office procedures if time allows or need is determined by Team Leader.
- Assist with health fairs and presentations as needed.
- Attend required compliance and team trainings.
Qualifications (Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
· Current CPR certification required.
· Graduation from a dental assisting school is a plus; a current dental license or certification may be required in certain states, especially if performing expanded duties or functions.
· Additional certification or training is a plus (e.g. X-Ray, CDA, RDA, EFDA or EDDA).
· Knowledge of dental terminology, instruments and sterilization methods is preferred.
· Computer proficiency and the ability to learn new programs is preferred.
· Excellent communication and people skills with the ability to build rapport with others is required.
· Well-organized, detail oriented and reliable.
· Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards is required.
Compensation and Benefits
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.00 – $20.00 per hour
- Paid time off
- 10 hour shift
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Dental Assisting: 1 year (Required)
- X-Ray Certification (Preferred)
CDA/RDA License Required:
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
APPLY ON INDEED