Supports dental care delivery by preparing treatment room for patient by following prescribed procedures and protocols. Prepares patients for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating and draping patients. Provides instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area; positioning instruments for dentist’s access; suctioning and passing instruments. Assist in educating patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control and postoperative instructions.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures
- Takes Digital Radiographs (via computer/sensors)
- Asking about the patient’s medical history and taking blood pressure and pulse
- Serving as an infection control officer, developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment according Joint Commission and OSHA Standards
- Follow Charles Drew Health Center’s HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices
- Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment
- Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restorations.
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing flossing and nutritional counseling) under the supervision of dentist.
- Taking impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth)
- Performing office management tasks that often require the use of computer
- Communicating with patients (e.g. scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, treatment follow-up and billing)
- Communicate with Dental Office Administrator regarding inventory/ordering dental supplies, dental equipment maintenance.
- Helping to provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including pediatric dentistry and oral surgery.
- Candidate should be flexible and willing to work at other locations as scheduled.
- Candidate should be available to work some evenings and weekends as scheduled.
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Dental Director or Dental Office administrator.
- Education: H.S. Diploma or Equivalency. Graduate of an accredited Dental Assistant Program preferred.
- Licensure: CPR & AED Certification and certification in coronal polishing and radiology required or completion within 6 months of hire.
- Experience: Ability to chart, proficiency in reading and entering data in EDR, proficient in basic computer skills, written dictation ability, customer service skills required, and preferred one year Dental assisting experience.
- Language: English or Bilingual
- Hours of Work: 30-40 hours/ week.
- Working hours may vary depending on organization and dental clinic needs.
- Travel: Flexible to travel to other Charles Drew dental clinic sites as needed.
- Extended Work Hours as needed or upon approval