|POSITION S U M M A R Y:
Performs chair side assistance in all operative and dental treatment procedures. Perform office and clerical procedures relative to patient records, appointments, and fees. Prepare dental instruments and materials necessary for the treatment of patients. Assist, perform and demonstrate dental services such as four-handed dentistry, taking and processing impressions, taking radiographs, placement of rubber dams, patient management and other dental techniques.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Provides support and relief to other dental team members of clinical work and minor administrative and business details as directed by Dentist or Hygienist.
2. Documents charts per request of Dentist or Hygienist.
3. Perform copying, filing, updating pre-authorizations and treatment plans and other projects related to administrative support.
4. Perform duties to allow more efficiency to dentist such as: taking impressions, taking X-rays, coronal polishing, 4-handed dentistry, etc.
a. To perform coronal polishing requires completion of an approved course criteria for coronal polishing. To obtain approval as a coronal polishing course the course must be: (A) Part of an accredited dental assisting training program or offered at a program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation; (B) Led by an instructor of the course who is qualified by education and experience; and (C) Held for a minimum of 14 contact hours of coronal polishing instruction to include 10 hours of didactic instruction and 4 hours of clinical participation.
b. To take X-rays requires completion of an approved course criteria for dental x-ray. To obtain approval as a dental x-ray course the course must be: (A) Part of an accredited dental assisting training program or offered at a program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation; (B) Led by an instructor of the course who is qualified by education and experience; and (C) Held for no less than 16 hours of classroom instruction on dental x-rays;
5. Maintaining clinic flow by sterilizing, room turn around, stocking cleaning, and putting material away.
6. Provides information to callers regarding patient care as directed by Dentist or Hygienist.
7. Explain procedures, treatment plans, costs, and post-op care appointments and total hygiene instructions.
8. Able to assist doctor in 4-handed dentistry.
9. Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Graduate from an accredited dental assisting program is preferred.
• BLS certification or ability to earn certification within three months.
• Ability to communicate effectively and articulate both orally and in writing.
• Ability to organize tasks, establish priorities and meet established deadlines.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
• Ability to work well with individuals of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and intellectual backgrounds.
• Bi-Lingual Spanish-Speaking
May require sitting for a long period of time. Some bending, lifting, stooping and stretching required. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to operate office equipment such as computer keyboard, photocopier, telephone and calculator. Some lifting may be involved, up to 35 pounds.